Friday, March 06, 2009

How time passes


First, I can’t believe how much time has passed. Well, right after my last post, my Grandmother Rosa, who I wrote about in this blog, became seriously ill. It was rough and scary and then miraculously they figured out it was her thyroid and she sprang back to life. After this, I scrambled back to New Haven and tried to survive the rest of the spring semester. When my first year of teaching successfully (or mercifully) ended, I walked at my Graduation in NYC (though Grandma was still too weak to make it) and then Peter and I with 4 other friends took off to hike the Inca Trail. Although we experienced many culinary adventures both in the kitchen and out, there was no time to post on the blog.

But tragedy hit again at the end of summer. Grandma was not feeling well and eventually she was diagnosed with stomach cancer. I’m not usually an “everything happens for a reason” type of person, but I really think she had cancer all along and they missed it, but God gave us the summer with her to say goodbye. That summer she went to a wedding, a family reunion, she got to see pictures of me in my cap and gown (she told everyone in the hospital that I am a Professor), and most importantly we got to hug and kiss her a lot that summer. She didn’t suffer for long and for that we are grateful. By the time she got ill again I was back in New Haven teaching but was lucky enough to fly back just in time to say goodbye. She died at home with her family nearby. I was honored to give the eulogy at her funeral where I got to tell my favorite stories about her. She was a remarkable woman who I admire greatly. I was trying to post the program I made to share a bit more about her...but can't figure it out. So trust me, she was a woman before her time and you would have liked to meet her.

No comments: