Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Chorizo and Eggs



When I first moved to NYC for graduate school the Mexican community was really small and actually non-existent to me. Mexican food here was really bad too, fake Tex-Mex stuff that, with a strong margarita, would just have to do. The only other Mexicans I knew beside myself were the friends I made at Teachers College or the Law School who were ex-pats from LA. and Texas. I know now there were some places that existed like Zarellas, but that would have been way out of my grad. school budget anyway. (and who ever heard of expensive Mexican food) However, slowly but surely things started to improve. There was Mama Mexico that we patronized with a vengeance, singing loudly with the Mariachi’s and ate to fill up our homesickness. Then Russell moved to Sunset Park, Brooklyn, a growing Mexican enclave, and he would drive to the upper west side to pick us up and take us to eat. Letty and I would buy our weight in Pan Dulce to take home.

Early on in NYC I became obsessed with Chorizo. I’ve always liked chorizo, but given the fat content really didn’t crave it all too often. But now that I couldn’t find it anywhere, I couldn’t live without it. One night, while on a date in my first or second year of graduate school we walked by a hole in the wall Mexican restaurant that I have never been able to find again and there it was on the Menu. That’s it, our plans had to change and I walked in and asked for a table. I have no idea how the date went, all I remember is that they gave me an extra serving of queso fresco on top because I couldn’t have been more excited.

Now that I can find Chorizo in NYC, I couldn’t be happier. We buy a batch and freeze it in serving size portions. It’s still such a guilt ridden food from the gods, so I make it for Peter and then just mooch off his plate (those calories don’t count, right?)

Chorizo and Eggs

For every egg use about an inch to inch and a half of Chorizo. Squeeze the meat out of the casing onto a hot skillet. Chorizo has a high fat content so there is no need to add oil to the pan, the fat will render itself out pretty quickly. Proceed to break it up as much as possible.

Whisk your eggs

Once the fat really starts to spread around and just before the Chorizo gets crispy put in the eggs and mix everything together. You want the Chorizo to be in every bite of your scrambled eggs. Everything will turn a light red color.

Serve and eat with Tortillas (use your fork as little as possible).

No comments: